Monday, April 29, 2013

Hashtag Chiefs Draft

We did it. The Chiefs finally stopped being mediocre and just went ahead and took the plunge all the way to the bottom of the NFL. It's something we have all been waiting for. Something Herm Edwards worked hard to achieve, was fired before he could, then Romeo Crennel stepped in nicely to finish the job.

Being a lifelong Chiefs fan, I'm used to mediocrity. I'm comfortable with a W-L column looking anywhere from 5-11 to 9-7. But considering how badly they sucked last year at 2-14, earning the worst record of all 32 NFL teams, I thought this was finally going to be the year the Chiefs drafted and developed a QB. But of course, the one year we pull off the first pick in the draft is the one year there is not a decent prospect....just our luck. Fitting, really. 

But given the hand they were dealt, I applaud the organization for their work so far this offseason. Clark Hunt knew he needed to clean house -and he did, getting rid of the GM and Coaching staff. New GM/HC tandem John Dorsey and Andy Reid have made several smart moves to bolster the talent on the roster through free agency and trades: They brought in Alex Smith, Donnie Avery, Anthony Fasano, Dunta Robinson, Sean Smith, Mike DeVito, and other solid role players.

I wish they would have been able to deal Branden Albert during the first round of the draft to get back a second round pick, however. It would have been nice to pick up a starting-quality ILB or offensive lineman to pair up with Derrick Johnson or Eric Fisher, respectively. But where the Chiefs really needed to step up was with their two 3rd rounders. I would argue that they got one right, one wrong. 

#63 Overall: Travis Kelce, TE - Got it right.
#96 Overall: Knile Davis, RB - Not feelin it. 

I have not had the chance to do so yet, probably because I just don't care quite enough to look it up, but I would love to hear an explanation from the organization behind the Knile Davis pick. He is athletic...that's where the positive ends. To put the negative succintly -he is an injury-prone fumble machine. With other needs on the roster, why go for more depth at RB? Can he block? Is he fully healthy now? Did they know Barrett Jones was still on the board? Or Alex Okafor? 

Or even stick with the RB position...Marcus Lattimore (also injury prone, but at least he is good!)? Johnathan Franklin was an absolute beast at UCLA too. 

SMH as they say in the social media world, which I am rapidly falling behind in due to the fact that my iPhone refuses to let me download new apps. No FB, Snapchat, Instragram. Bright side is I don't have to see pictures of Barclay's shit sent directly to my phone, down side is I'm stuck with just Twitter, and even that's barely operating. But I digress...

Now Travis Kelce... judging from my half-ass attempt at researching him, which took me a total of approximately 7 minutes, I like this pick. He seems like a very, very good all around TE. Saw some impressive film of him catching balls on just seam routes, burning the linebackers and even DBs. Then he is happy to come in and line up next to the tackles or in a wing spot and get dirty blocking. He is just the kind of guy KC needs. Someone who can contribute on special teams, as well as in a few sub-packages, assuming Tony Moeaki goes down with his annual ACL tear (becoming quite the tradition). 

As far as the rest of the draft goes, who really cares. I'm crossing my fingers Eric Fisher will live up to the hype -I'm leaning towards bust, not because I don't like him, his film looks good. But because that's just the Chief's luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment